“A mentor teacher is a light among lights who enlightens
everyone engaged in learning and teaching process”
The mentor teacher program was conceived by the honorable Dept. CM Manish Sisodiya Ji and was launched on 7th april 2016. In 2016, the Directorate of Education proposed to constitute a Teachers' Mentor Group (TMG) to leverage the creative expertise of about 200 teachers in further strengthening the academic and pedagogic capacities of TGTs of DoE teaching upto class X. A letter was sent to all the teachers in the directorate of education asking them to apply for this program. Initially 1100 teachers applied for this programme. Applicants were put through day-long rigorous selection processes -personality type test, extempore, personal interview, psycho analysis test & group discussions. Out of these 1100 applicants 200 were selected for a 2-year long tenure. The mentor teacher program is designed to foster a culture of learning, sharing and collaboration through a community of practice.To create a resource pool of intrinsically motivated and passionate teachers from within the department. The program also meant to extend academic & pedagogic support to teachers, foster growth mindset amongst various stakeholders and to boost research on topics related to school education.
- A network of committed teachers taken from within the system, for the system, who can change the system for better
- To support Heads of School in academic matters
- To ensure the implementation of all the initiatives of SCERT and DOE in its true spirit
- To conduct training and capacity building sessions for teachers and provide onsite support to teachers at their respective schools regularly
- Each MTG member to support 5-6 schools
Role of Mentor Teachers
- Laisoning with various stakeholders of education (Team Education) in academic matters
- Supporting each initiative by getting integrally involved in it
- Taking all the academic interventions of the Directorate /SCERT/ RDE/Distt. / Zone level to the ground level
- Making an alignment between conceptualisation and implementation of each and every intervention and providing required support (minimising communication loss)
- Accompanying all the international / national delegates and supporting the officials in explaining Delhi Education Model
- Working as a pedagogical advisor and support to mentee schools
- Reporting to district coordinator and OSD school branch for day to day activities / visits/ meetings etc.
- Attending Co-Learning Sessions - TDCs Facilitators-MTs, CLDP Facilitators-MTs, TDCs-MTs
- Discussing academic challenges during (Academic Resource Team) ART meeting and finding in house solution(s) to the challenges
- Discussing challenges during (Cluster Leadership Development Programme) CLDP meeting and finding in house cluster level solution(s) to the challenges
- Creating a culture of peer learning through observations and feedback sessions
- Organising in house short meetings / sessions to facilitate the teachers regarding desired pedagogical tools (online / offline) to improve teaching-learning process.
- Meeting DDE zone / distt. for organising zonal / distt. specific academic interventions
- Any time bound task / work assigned by anyone at any point of time by Dy. CM/ Director/ ADE/ RDE/ DDE/ OSD/ Distt. Coordinator/HoS
- Developing a culture of appreciation by recognising the out of box thinking & efforts of students / teachers and felicitating them